A Birth Story:Shiloh Celia McDonald


After finding out I was pregnant with Shiloh one of my first thoughts was, “I hope I make it to the hospital when I have this baby!” For those of y’all who don’t know Scotland’s birth story you can read it here. It was soooo fast and I barely made it to the hospital. 

Everyone says, “Your second baby comes even faster,” which was a terrifying thought for me because Scotland came so quickly. 

I spent the majority of my pregnancy listening to The Birth Hour podcast, reading books on natural childbirth and trying to prep my body for labor again. After Scotland was born I became obsessed with all things natural birth related and could talk your ear off about it, but I’ll save that for another post 😆

I had a relatively easy pregnancy again, but of course I was soooo over it by the time December rolled around. My due date had changed from 12/4/18 to 12/26/18 but I totally thought baby was coming closer to the original due date (I was so wrong) so I spent most of the month of December playing “If I go in to labor today then our plan is to….” 

Jordan made sure to always have his phone on full volume, my dad was on standby because we knew he’d be the one watching Scotland while I was in labor, and my mom and sister were waiting to jump in the car at any moment so they could make it to the hospital for the birth. 

On 12/20/18 I was 39 weeks and 1 day pregnant. I had a midwife appointment in the morning. She did a cervical check and said I was already dilated to 3 cm and decided to do a membrane sweep.  She told me afterwards she’d be surprised if I didn’t have the baby by the end of the next day. 

We left the appointment around 10 am and I was immediately having cramping (which she said to expect), Jordan, Scotland and I went and got breakfast then J headed off to work. I went over to my parents house because I didn’t wanna be alone in case I did in fact start labor.  I took a nap while my siblings watched Scotland. I was pretty uncomfortable from the cramping but they weren’t coming and going like contractions do;  it was almost a constant dull pain. I woke up from my nap and went on a drive to get Scotland to nap. That’s when I noticed the cramps starting to come and go in waves. They were pretty minor though and I had to really pay attention to notice them. 

I called my mom and Jordan and decided that I wanted to head up to the hospital around 4:30 to get checked just in case they were in fact contractions. I didn’t wanna get stuck in rush hour traffic (and there was a brutal rain storm that day, which doesn’t help traffic).  Jordan left work, took the dogs to a sitter and came to my parents house. I was about 90% sure that once we got to the hospital they’d send us home since the contractions/waves I was experiencing were so minor. 

5:15 pm – we pulled up to the hospital.  This was such a different experience than when we pulled up with Scotland’s labor 😂 this time we just leisurely walked up to triage. They even asked why I was there 😂 

5:33 pm – they hooked me up to a contraction monitor. It recorded contractions for the next 20 minutes. I could feel them coming and going but I was totally comfortable just sitting on the hospital bed. 

6:15 pm – midwife came in for a cervical check and to check the contraction monitor. It showed contractions 2-4 minutes apart.  I was still only 3 cm dilated but I wasn’t surprised since I was in no pain. They suggested I walk around for an hour to see if that would kickstart labor. 

6:35 pm –  I started walking around triage (I know all the times of when things happened because I looked back at texts from Jordan’s phone; he was updating his mom and a few close friends).

Contractions started almost immediately. I was able to walk around in between but would have to pause whenever a contraction would hit. I still was feeling pretty good and was thinking I must have a long night ahead of me since it wasn’t too painful yet. 

I continued to walk around until 7 pm but then things become a little more fuzzy to remember. By 7 my contractions were about a minute long with only a minute in between for a break. It was allllllll in my back. I didn’t have back labor at all with Scotland so this was new to me. I remembered hearing about counter pressure to help with back labor so I had Jordan squeeze my hips when a contraction would come and it helped SO much. He basically did this for the next hour. We were still in triage because they said I couldn’t get another cervical check until 8 pm. 

So we stayed in this tiny room while Jordan squeezed my hips and put pressure on my back until around 7:50 pm.  I told my mom to get the midwife so they could check me and hopefully admit me into labor and delivery. 

8:06 pm – The midwife finally came in and did a cervical check. I was at 6 cm dilated so they began to admit me. At this point contractions were on top of each other. So I would get a 30 second break if any break at all. I had to get an IV hep lock and answer a bunch of questions which took forever because we had to work between contractions. 

8:20 pm – we finally got out of our triage room and started moving towards labor and delivery. They asked if I wanted a room with a bathtub which I totally did. We made it into the room and I was then told I had to get up on the bed so they could monitor the baby while they filled the tub. 

At this point my contractions were sooooo intense. I was vocalizing the whole time into a pillow. I didn’t want anyone talking to me or touching me. Laying flat on the bed was the worst but I wasn’t really given a choice in the matter. 

After a couple minutes I asked the nurse if I could have another cervical check to see if I had progressed passed 6 cm and if I hadn’t, I told her I wanted an epidural (it had only been about 20 minutes since I was checked last).  The nurse then paged the midwife and asked her to come in for a check.  Immediately after paging her I felt myself start to bare down and push. It was as if my body was pushing the baby out without me even trying. 

The nurse then asked me if I was feeling pressure and I managed to tell her I was. She then checked me and told me,  “You’re at a 9…. 9.5… you’re really close! Don’t push!” 

The second she said don’t push my water burst everywhere, all over Jordan, the hospital bed and floor. Shiloh’s head then came all the way out, and the nurse started pushing my legs together telling me to not push. Jordan pushed her off of my legs, I pushed again and half of her body came out. Jordan started trying to help her and grabbed her arms while the nurse put on gloves. She was born at 8:37 pm with no midwife in the room. A whole bunch of nurses then came running in and one of them passed me Shiloh. 

Jordan was bawling and covering me with kisses … I held her for about a minute before I realized I didn’t know what gender she was. I asked and Jordan told me, “She’s a girl!” I asked him to check again because I was certain she was going to be a boy. A nurse then reassured me she was in fact a girl! At that time my photographer Ariel came running in saying, “I missed it again!” but she was able to capture those sweet first few moments we had together. 

She nursed right away and cuddled right into my chest and it was pure bliss. We named her just a few minutes after she was born. Jordan thought of the name Shiloh a few months before I had found out I was pregnant and it was one we both were leaning towards during my pregnancy. Celia is Jordan’s Grandma’s middle name. She passed away three days before Shiloh was born at age 94. We love her so much and I feel like she was cuddling Shiloh in heaven before sending her down to us. 

I still can’t believe I have TWO daughters. She fits perfectly into our family. ❤️


  1. I love the story Cait and it breaks my heart that I couldn’t be there but thankful Jordan and your mom were💕💕. I was so happy to hear you and Jordan used mom’s middle name as Shiloh’s middle name too😘😘😘🥰🥰. My heart swells with joy💓💓💓💓. I know mom was thrilled and what a wonderful story she can tell now that 2 of her great granddaughters each have one of mom’s names.💕💕💕. Love you all so much!!!!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s